Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Notes From the Studio: Painting In Progress

Some observations on my painting process.

Step one happens internally-a vision is presented to me. In my art notebook I jot down a title and a few words to remind me of the vision. I usually have a sense of the needed size and medium for the painting.


Step two is when a vision I had starts coming back to haunt me. I know then it's time to start that painting. 


Step three is a basic initial drawing, done directly on the canvas, without doing preparatory sketches. This spontaneously generated composition determines the layout of painting. Even as I enhance and revise my images I remain true to my first impulsive design.


This is the start of "The Night of Wonders," 3' x 2'. Drawing done in ultramarine blue acrylic.

I paint standing up, pacing up and down in front of the work-stepping back often to see what it looks like from the most likely viewpoint it will be seen from-a few feet away.

The whole canvas must be covered in paint, and then I work all over the canvas, bringing area after area up to similar points of finish. Painting is a process of constant overall adjustments. I struggle to resist getting too detailed in places while there are still big, less resolved areas.





Here is the same painting after two painting sessions, probably about 4 hours of work. This painting still has weeks to go before it will be completed.

-Richard Bledsoe

No comments:

Post a Comment