Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Falling Darkness and the Appearance of Mystery Cat X

The long night passed.
I did not see Shadow again before the light came.
She had her favorite places to sleep. Where I did not know.
I made my way home before the sky lit up so bright and yellow.
The great fire ball chasing our holy silver cat away.

I could sit at the closed back door of my people animal and speak once or twice
asking to enter. Most times the door would open soon enough. But not
always. Patience is an attribute most of us cats have although we get
no credit for it from other animals. They act as if we are unfocused, selfish, flighty
and uncaring. All those things we certainly can be. But you have never
sat at a door on a cold morning or freezing night waiting for your people to open it to you.
I can wait a long time. A very long time.

This day my human opened it quickly. I spoke thanks to him as I entered the welcoming warm kitchen.
He was busy making food in the hot box thing in the room. From up top of it I could hear and smell
meat frying. A good smell. Sometimes he gave me a bit of the delicious meat. It was always
very hot, almost too hot to eat. He is kind to me. He talks to me. I talk back. He gives me a place to
sleep in my good little bed in the corner.  The people animal is odd but we are friends I think.
He scratches behind my ears and gives me milk when I ask for it.

Shadow has never liked the people animals. Cats are not her friends either.
I don't know why.
But she believes she is meant to be alone in this world.
Prefers it I think.
She talks to me. Puts up with me but that is because we are blood.
Oh I think in her own way she cares about me. But it is hard for her
to say so.

I think some part of Shadow got broken when she was small. I recall her
as playful and hopeful as any kitten. For some reason she always asked about our father.
Wanted to be with him I think. Sometimes he would appear in our lives ever so briefly. So much so that
I thought for a long time that he did not exist.

Then I would notice his black shape barely hidden in some flowers at the edge of a
bright meadow where a bunch of us would play.
He would watch through the shade of the plants. Never coming out into the light.
Watching. He called to us once. Just to let us know he was there I think.
But he did not say much.

I could tell Shadow was bothered by this. She would stop
in mid play and stand stiff still, eyes wide open with ears up. Whether she was scared
or in awe I don't know. He would look at us once more and then growl deep in his throat
and then slowly move away through the field. I knew Shadow wanted to go with him.
But she was a little bit scared I think. So she stayed with us. That day anyway.

I must stop my writing now.
I am tried and my bed is so warm and soft I must lie down.
Tonight will come soon enough.
And perhaps I can find out about the appearance of the mystery cat
on the package Angel brought us. I hid it beneath some leaves
under the sunflowers where Shadow and I meet.

NEXT: THE ONLY BRIGHT SPOT

No comments:

Post a Comment