Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Falling Darkness and Appearance of Mystery Cat IX

Shadow looked after the departing Angel cat.
She did not seem bothered by his leaving. She has never
suffered fools well and she thought him a great fool. To me he
was just a troubled soul. Like most cats not quite sure of his place in the world.

But I could tell she was troubled by the strange package he had left us.
The image on it bore a strong resemblance to her. Or maybe it reminded
her of her father. We never really knew our parents. Did we have the same father?
Doubtful. But she had seen a black cat around for many seasons now that she believed
was her father. She wanted to stop him and speak to him I know. But he never stayed anywhere
very long.

She began to get up to leave. As she did she turned to me and spoke.
"Beware sister. There is much to pay attention to now. Be
brave."   At this she jumped through the brush
and disappeared.

I was left to sit by myself. Thinking and wondering.
I looked at the package before me. I leaned down to examine it more closely for myself.
I extended a paw to bat at it. I sniffed at it. It did smell disturbingly human. But what was it for? And the image
of the cat? It seemed so terrible. Was it a warning? Was it the face of some cat
to come?

As I thought on these things the breeze picked up. The chill of the coming
autumn tainted the air. The sound of rustling leaves all around now.
The world around me lit by the holy silver light.
I looked up through the shifting leaves above me.
I saw the glowing face of the great cat in the sky.
He seemed to wink at me.
I hoped it was a wink.
I really did.

NEXT: MEOW I SAY

-Jeff Falk

No comments:

Post a Comment