Monday, February 20, 2012

THE FALLING DARKNESS AND APPEARENCE OF MYSTERY CAT VI

As we waited for Angel to calm down I thought
about this record I write. I know of no other cats who do this.
Shadow thinks I'm crazy. Maybe I am. Why would cats need a record?
Who will see it? Who will read it? Who will care?
I cannot say. I do not know. It has been a thing I have felt that I must do.

Our lives as cats are as ordinary as can be. We eat. We sleep. We live.
How could there be more to it?  What could possibly be worthwhile
to record? I cannot say.

I only know that, as I have sat  alone, in the quiet moments of grey morning down near the creek,
I see the great yellow orb rise and bless us, and it seems that there is some meaning to it all that I am missing.
A magic that I do not understand. But how can that be? Our lives are so hum drum. A cat is a cat is a cat.
Why think that there is more?

Shadow tells me "You find something to hunt. Stay out of the rain. Hide from the bad things coming
our way. And if we are lucky we might catch a glimpse of the Great Cat when we go away to the darkness.
If there is a Great Cat. More than that what are you hoping for?"

I don't know what to say.  But when I have sat and watched the falling of snowflakes after the time when leaves have left the trees its as if there is somewhere else between each falling flake. I catch a glimpse of a light ,a land, where all things begin. And to which all things return. Where  a question and an answer are the same thing. And before you even begin to wonder about it all the reason why is already there.

Its a good place. But I think I'm just crazy. How could that be true? This world is what it is.
There can't be anymore. Can there?

Why can't I just be the cat that I am and explore my own paths and sleep on my bed in the kitchen of my human animal and be happy with that? Most times this record I keep is a curse. But then other times I want so badly to write about what our lives are like here. I want those who come after us to remember us. I want Shadow and Angel and White Joe to have a place in it all. We were here! We lived our lives! We made our way! We were here!

But then I doubt it all and wish only to be that cat in the kitchen.

It would be so much easier.

And then Angel starts to talk and I remember where I am.

NEXT: CAT WORLD ABOVE AND BELOW

-Jeff Falk

No comments:

Post a Comment