Thursday, February 16, 2012

THE FALLING DARKNESS AND APPEARENCE OF MYSTERY CAT V

My sister Shadow and I sat beneath the sunflowers.
The darkness now deeper all around us. Then some clouds
that had obscured the beautiful light of the silver orb,
flew away from it, revealing the world before us
in little flashes of bright silver explosions until finally
the sky clear, the world around us brightened.

I saw something moving through the hollyhock stalks
coming towards us.
It looks like a cat I thought. This was true. Shadow once
tense now relaxed although she is never truly relaxed
in the truest sense.

She sat up straighter now and gave out her "Who comes towards
us?" growl. The shape ahead now stopped. Its rustling quieted
for a moment. Listening. Then it came on ahead. Now a cat emerged from
the hollyhocks their dry rattles punctuating its appearance.
It was the grey tailless cat we call Angel.

He is usually in the trees above us. He is hardly ever seen
on the ground. This was a bad omen.
But whether for him or us I did not know.

Now standing before us in the moonlight, panting and looking this way
and that, Angel sat down. There was a spot of blood on his right ear.
But whether his or someone else's I could not say.
He appeared almost relieved to see us.
Then he spoke through ragged breaths......

"Its here my friends. Its here. I see no way around it.
It comes from every place. Knocked me from my favorite tree.
What is it? What is it? What does it mean? What does it mean?"

Angel spoke oddly on good days. Now his words, almost like poems,
described some event that had fallen to him. Still breathing hard
it would be a few moments before we could ask him questions
so that we might understand the meaning of his words. We would wait.

I looked up now at the silver orb its cat face seemed to smile.
But I might have been imagining it.

NEXT: DO NOT GO GENTLE

-Jeff Falk

No comments:

Post a Comment